Historical Significance The Ravenscroft neighborhood was incorporated into Petersburg in 1784 and developed soon after. It is bounded on the west by Halifax Street, an important early transportation and commercial corridor leading from Halifax,…

Historical Significance Prestwould Plantation was built for Sir Peyton Skipwith and Jean Miller Skipwith after their marriage in 1788. Prestwould was among the largest plantations in the state. The papers and records kept by the Skipwiths provide…

Historical Significance Pocahontas Island, named after the daughter of a Powhatan chief, is probably Petersburg's earliest predominantly black neighborhood. Some of Petersburg's first enslaved African Americans were brought here in 1732 to work in…

Historical Significance Petersburg's cemeteries were segregated by race and religion. In 1815, the Petersburg Beneficial Society of Free Men of Color was established to support its free black members in times of sickness and in death. Beneficial…

Historical Significance The Old City Cemetery, originally referred to as the Methodist Cemetery, was established as a public burial ground in 1806. The land was donated by John Lynch and today contains over 20,000 gravesites. The Old City Cemetery…

Historical Significance Black fraternal orders like the Odd Fellows (and similar organizations for women) were popular during the 19th century as places where blacks could hone their business and economic skills, as well as socialize. White Odd…

Historical Significance Nauck is an historically African-American community in Arlington County bounded on the northeast by the Army-Navy Country Club and South Glebe Road, on the northwest by South Walter Reed Drive, on the southeast by Shirley…

Historical Significance By the time Moses Hepburn built the four rental townhouses at 206-212 North Pitt Street, he was one of the wealthiest black residents of Alexandria and a successful land developer and civic leader. Hepburn was born in 1809,…

Historical Significance The Manassas Industrial School/Jennie Dean Memorial is a 4.5 acre archaeological park which interprets and commemorates the history of the Manassas Industrial School for Colored Youth previously located on the same site,…

Historical Significance One of a few relics of pre-Civil War black entrepreneurship surviving in rural Virginia, the Madden Tavern was completed in 1840, owned and operated by a free black man, Willis Madden (1800-1879). In the 19th century, free…