Our Lady Queen of Peace is a Catholic parish that was organized by a small group of African Americans in 1945, around the end of World War II. In the early 1940s, Black Catholics petitioned the Richmond Diocese for permission to establish a Catholic church in Arlington County. The Bishop granted their request, and they began holding church services in the homes of parishioners. Later, a site was found for the new church on South 19th and Edgewood Streets. Solomon Thompson, a black real estate agent, and Clarence Brown negotiated and purchased the property under the auspices of the Diocese of Richmond, and plans were initiated to construct a new church building.
Our Lady Queen of Peace remained a largely African-American congregation until approximately 1963, when calls for integration and racial equality took on new urgency. Parishioners from South and Central America began attending services. By the early 20th century, Hispanic music and traditions made up an important part of the church culture.
No Physical Description Available.
Geographical and Contact Information
2700 South 19th Street