Built in 1885, the Schaffer Memorial Baptist Church shared its grounds with the Old Christiansburg Industrial Institute (now known as Christiansburg Institute). The church began informally two decades earlier in 1866 when Captain Charles S. Schaeffer, a white agent of the Freedmen's Bureau and Baptist pastor, began teaching local blacks technical, academic, and religious skills. The formal beginnings of the church took place when Schaffer founded the Christiansburg African Baptist Church. In 1885, with financial aid from the Quakers, a brick church was built adjacent to the Christiansburg Industrial Institute (completed in 1873). The church was later renamed the Schaeffer Memorial Baptist Church and is still used as a place of worship.
No Physical Description Available
Geographical and Contact Information
570 High Street