In March of 1940, the Cape Charles Theatre Corporation was formed with three trustees, William H. Tabb, William Carrow, and W.A. Dickinson. A week later the Corporation purchased two lots on the southside of Jefferson Avenue in the African-American section of Cape Charles from W. A. and Naomi Dickinson.
The primary goal of the Cape Charles Theatre Corporation was to open a movie house for African Americans in Cape Charles. This would become the only movie theater for blacks in all of lower Northampton County. When the corporation held a contest to determine the theater's name, Bessie Trower of lower Northampton County won by suggesting "Carver" in honor of George Washington Carver, a noted black scientist of the Tuskegee Institute in Alabama. The Carver opened on Saturday May 24, 1940.
Seven years later the Carver Spot, a soda fountain/restaurant, opened on a lot adjoining the theater. Both buildings have since been demolished.
The theater and the soda fountain/restaurant were constructed out of cinder block. The theater had a seating capacity of 400 and the adjoining restaurant measured 36 feet square. Neither building is still standing.
Geographical and Contact Information
Cape Charles, Virginia